Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Portobello Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Oh, my stars- did inspiration ever hit last week! I came up with a new recipe. (It's probably been done before, but it was new to me and I didn't get it out of a cookbook or anything, so I claim it.) I was thinking about some of the things we used to eat in our pre-vegetarian days and how we could eat the same meals only without meat. One of the things we used to enjoy was Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches, only healthy. (Cooking Light has a recipe for them using turkey and Kaiser rolls that is really good; we used to sub leftover roast chicken which was ten times better than the turkey cold cuts called for in the recipe.) I said to myself, what's a common meat substitute for vegetarians? Why, Portobello mushrooms, of course. Yep, DH made the cheesesteak sandwiches with mushrooms instead of meat, olive oil instead of the butter, and Swiss instead of the cheese the recipe calls for. (We just happen to like Swiss better; I get vegetarian Swiss from The Fresh Market whenever I can get over there.) He followed the Cooking Light recipe otherwise. We top them with cold dill pickle slices and ketchup. They came out so GREAT!!! I am delighted; I can have my cheesesteak sandwiches again; hooray!!!

No comments: