Thursday, January 7, 2010

Back to School and Some Weighty Issues

The Eldest started her second class today- English 101. It's a composition class so she should have no troubles as long as she works hard. I have to take a class as well in order to maintain my teaching certificate so I signed up for Government. The college is working on a staggered schedule for some crazy reason so I won't start for a few more weeks, but I'm looking forward to it. I purchased the book today- $142.00!! Yipes! Text books are pricey. If I like the class I'll bug The Eldest to take it next semester so we'll get two for one out of the text, which helps a little. I enjoy the classes I have to take- it's kind of like the story of Br'er Rabbit and the Briar Patch. "Don't throw me in the briar patch, Br'er Fox, oh no, not that!!" Don't make me take classes, anything but that! ;) I keep saying I should take classes even when I'm not trying to renew my certificate, but I never feel like I can spare the time. I've already volunteered to take on more with Girl Scouts again when my classes are over... sigh. I enjoy that too though so I shouldn't really complain either way. I will go back for my master's degree one of these days, I just haven't made my final decision as to what I want to study. I'm currently leaning toward nutrition, especially after my experiences with weight loss. I started working on my master's once before but then I took a semester off to focus on work, wound up pregnant with The Eldest, and haven't gone back. I wanted to go into counseling. I think working in nutrition will still be counseling of a sort, only on specific issues. Over eating is so frequently based on emotional issues that combining the two disciplines can only be a good thing!

Speaking of weight, while I was waiting for The Eldest to finish her class I checked out a bunch of cookbooks from the library. (The college has a campus on the second floor of our local library building, which is super convenient.) I picked up one by Dr. Dean Ornish that's both diet and vegetarian recipes, kind of what I need right now, and started reading the introduction. Did you know that only 3% of dieters are able to maintain their weight loss for 5 years? Wow, that's horrible!!! I've maintained MOST of my weight loss for over 2 years now so I'm already defying the odds a little, but I'm currently 6 pounds over my goal weight. I'm fighting to get it back down, though. I'm slipping some with my exercise in that I'm walking 5 or 6 days a week instead of 6 or 7, but I think that's still pretty good. I'm also continuing with my daily weigh ins; that's a set habit that I am determined to maintain. I'm working on Wii Fit a few days a week too, and I ride my bike whenever I get a chance. (I don't get out to ride as often as I would like since the days are shorter now; I only ride when there's daylight.) I want to be a part of making that 3% a MUCH bigger number so I am constantly re-committing to healthy weight loss/maintenance, learning as much as I can about healthy eating, and continuing the healthy habits that helped me lose in the first place.

Won't you join me? :)

No comments: