Friday, January 16, 2009

Country Sausage and Rice

I made the Country Sausage and Rice from Cooking Light Superfast Suppers today and it was pretty good, but I would make a few changes to it the next time I make it. First of all my kids didn't like the sausage; it was too spicy, so I'll switch to lean ground beef. That will have to be seasoned up with random spices from the spice cabinet, of course. I liked the veggies and the way they were cooked so that's the part of the recipe to keep. Since I can't find a link to the recipe on the Cooking Light web site, here's a summary for you: Brown some sausage (although I'll try the beef next time) until cooked through and remove from the pan. Throw some matchstick-cut carrots, celery, and onion, all cut small so they will cook quickly, along with a half cup of water and some seasoning (the recipe calls for salt and sage) into the pan, bring the water to a boil, cover and cook for 4 minutes or so until tender, add back in the cooked sausage/beef and some cooked rice, stir, and it's done! Oh, the recipe also calls for adding chopped fresh parsley at the last step, but I didn't care for it; I'll leave that out the next time.

No comments: