Friday, February 27, 2009

Summer Squash Recipe

When we picked strawberries the other day I also bought some summer squash at the little market they have there. We ate it yesterday and it was so good. It tasted like it had a stick of butter on it but there wasn't any; it was just steamed.

Here's how I did it:
Several yellow squash, washed, bad spots peeled off, and cut into bite sized pieces
One sweet onion, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Throw everything in the top of a steamer basket and place over boiling water, making sure the water is below the bottom of the basket. Cover. Steam until the texture you like is reached. Test frequently by taking one of the larger pieces out with tongs, running it under cool water, and eating. I think I started with 10 minutes on the timer since the squash pieces were a good size and the basket was full. I like my steamed veggies softer than most; use less time for al dente.

No comments: