Saturday, May 15, 2010

Child Proofing

The Youngest, aka The Wild Child, is full of it these days; I spent the better part of Thursday locking up our "grown up" movies, or I should say re-locking them up. They were in a cabinet locked with a magnetic child lock but he's known how to open those for a while. He never seemed to bother with the movies inside though, until recently. He started watching "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" the other day and I knew something was up because that's not a movie in their "G" movie storage case. Not that I wouldn't let him watch that particular movie, there's a good message in it and it's PG, but it was in with other movies that he absolutely can NOT watch at his tender age of 7. Plus he got it out of a cabinet he knows he's not allowed to access. Plus he had not completed his school work for the day so it wasn't an appropriate time for him to be watching ANYTHING. I got a little pissed.

So I gathered up all of the DVDs from that cabinet and sorted them into piles, PG, PG-13, and R, then took out the actual discs and filed them in three different storage cases. I'm debating about tossing the now empty movie cases. They take up a lot of space and we don't really need them. I have a listing of all of the movies in a document on the computer so when we want to watch a movie I can easily see what we have. Collectible purposes? They might be valuable to collectors one day? Eh. I don't really put much stock in that as a reason to keep something around, after all, if I throw mine away then the people who make the space to keep theirs will reap the benefit of fewer of said items floating around diluting the value. It's an act of charity! (OK, I have Beanie Babies and Barbies in boxes, but that's beside the point.)

The Wild Child has also been going into my bedroom closet lately, another thing he KNOWS he's not supposed to do. DH took a pair of folding scissors that go with my pocket knife away from him yesterday. I used them the last time I went camping with The Eldest and just put them away the day before, so I knew where he got them from. I suppose that one serves me right; I used to sneak into my parent's closet all the time when I was a kid. I got in big trouble once- I found my birthday presents and unwrapped them to see what they were. I re-wrapped them, of course, but my mom still put two and two together. She got so mad she returned some of the presents to the store. (Or threatened to; I can't remember if she actually did it or not.) It didn't stop me. Hey, I was a latch key kid and I got bored.

Umm, now that I think about it, I should check and see if the pocket knife, which was right next to the scissors, is still where I left it...

No comments: