Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th! How’s your day going? It rained earlier here but it's clear and sunny now; I hope it stays this way for the rest of the day! The day started late for us, as usual since we’re night owls, when The Youngest came in and joined DH and I in bed for an early afternoon snuggle. He asked about the 4th of July and why it’s a special day so we talked a little about the Declaration of Independence. He related it back to National Treasure and said he thought it was about secrets. No, it’s about our country and how we didn’t want a king taxing us unfairly anymore. The Middle Child joined us at that point so all four of us were snuggling; gives me warm fuzzy feelings just thinking about it. I had to get up first and I looked back at the three of them laying there talking and giggling with each other; sometimes you just about burst from the love.

Once we got up and going with our day, we celebrated with a festive lunch the kids planned. I asked them what they wanted to eat for the holiday and they chose a main dish of grilled shish-kabobs with mojo-marinated chicken and pork tenderloin, pineapple, bell pepper, zucchini, and sweet onion chunks. They suggested fruit salad but the watermelon was so good we ate it before the rest of the fruit could get cut up! We also had my mom's doctored up baked beans, grilled corn on the cob, and steamed green beans. We don't usually eat dessert but I picked up a package of mini cupcakes with red, white, and blue icing at the store so the kids had those. The Youngest, aka The Wild Child, ate two and swore his sister made him eat one, so therefore that one shouldn't count and he should get to eat another one. Kid logic.

We need to go for a family bike ride later to burn off some of the calories! It's still too hot and muggy outside to go now so DH and the kids are working off some energy on Rock Band while I type this up. Rock Band was a Christmas present for the family and they use it all the time. DH is musical; he was in a garage rock band that performed at local clubs when we were dating waaaaay back in the 80's. Both of the girls are taking piano lessons. The Youngest isn't taking music lessons yet but he plays along too. I’m the lone hold out; I tried the drums once and failed out miserably, and anytime I think I might want to practice someone else is hogging the drum set. They’re stinkers that way!

Now we have the rest of a lazy Saturday ahead of us. I hope you are having a great day, too.

No comments: