Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Meatless Monday Report

Our first "Meatless Monday" was a success! We had Black Bean Patties with rice, applesauce, and carrot salad for lunch and Pasta and Bean soup with a baguette for dinner. The kids were happy, DH and I were happy, and I don't think anyone was even tempted to sneak any meat products. It was a vegetarian day as opposed to vegan since we had mayo (made with egg) in the carrot salad and DH added butter to the pasta and bean soup. No creatures had to die for us to eat yesterday, though, so that's a good thing, and definitely a step in the right direction for my family.

One of my fondest hopes for my kids is that one or more of them will turn out to be vegetarian (or vegan). I'd be so proud! :)

On a side note, I did have kind of a funny moment at the grocery store. I realized I needed to buy chicken for today, not a meatless day, but it was Monday. Does "Meatless Monday" mean I can't buy meat on Monday, either? Of course I have to decide for myself, and I decided it would probably not be honoring the spirit of our promise if I buy meat on Mondays, so I didn't. If we didn't have what we needed already in the freezer, we would have to figure something else out.

No comments: