Saturday, September 4, 2010

Farmer's Market

We have a real live, bona fide farmer's market a couple of cities away from here. (We live in a county packed end to end with adjoining cities so a couple of cities away isn't very far at all.) I'm so excited! We live in an agricultural wasteland around here since our growing seasons are backwards, but they had some good stuff. It wasn't all local; strawberries from California, bread from Canada, that type of thing, but there was a good selection and it was all organic. We'll get more local produce over the winter. (I can't wait for STRAWBERRIES early next year; my favorite.)

I picked up some collard greens, kale, and romaine lettuce. I also found a bunch of gorgeous, colorful carrots; I didn't know they came in purple and yellow! DH is cooking up a batch of Sandra Lee's Southern Style Beans with Greens for lunch as we speak, our favorite way to eat collards. I'm not sure what we're going to do with the other ingredients; I have to go thumb through my cookbooks.

I think we're definitely treading into "foodie" category around here, even with the switch to a vegetarian diet. It's fun to experiment with new recipes and find food that is so delicious you can't stand it when you take the last bite. Food is one of life's pleasures; why waste a single bite on anything that is less than fabulous? When you can get food that both nourishes your body and tastes like heaven on a fork... that's a win.

No comments: