Thursday, May 5, 2011

Misery

I am reminded of a song from my youth that goes something like this:

Gloom, despair, agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all,
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

Or something like that. It was from "Hee Haw", which my parents watched when I was a kid. There were like, 3 channels at the time, OK??? Not a lot of choices. But I digress. The reason this song comes to mind is that I have a cold. Not a minor, trifling cold like other people get, it's a mean, nasty, evil cold with aches and pains and agony and all that stuff. Coughing, sore throat, clogged up nose and all sorts of horrible things. It's so bad DH has even jumped ship; he's sleeping on the guest bed in another room so my thrashing about and snuffling and snoring at night won't keep him up. (Traitor. What if I need him to get me something, like medicine or a thermometer or a drink of water or a shotgun?)

I typically manage to catch a cold about once a year; drives me bonkers when I get one. I get out my tea bags and drink lots and lots of hot tea with honey and lemon. I consume tons of Riccola, to the point that I don't know what's worse- the coughing or having to suck on yet another cough drop. A friend recommended gargling with vinegar; sounds promising but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. My grandmother swore by warm salt water gargles, which I also haven't gotten around to yet. (I keep forgetting to take the salt and a cup to the bathroom.)

Mainly, I try to rest. The Eldest just finished her classes so I don't have to drive around picking her up. Martha Jr. had a class today but it's close by so The Eldest drove (I still had to go since she's only got a learner's permit) and walked her into the building. I was able to sit in the car, which was a lot easier than my typical Thursday rush. I was supposed to host a Girl Scout meeting with Martha Jr.'s troop on Tuesday but I canceled that, which I hate to do, but I don't think the moms would appreciate it if their daughters were all exposed to my germs; blech.

And now I am going to go rest some more. That's been typical- I get up and do a few things around the house, then I get wiped out so I go to bed. On the down side, the house is a disaster since the few things I manage to do are not nearly enough to keep up with the messes this family can make. On the plus side, I've caught up on my DVR viewing. I'm at 54% available space!! See- there's always a silver lining.

No comments: