Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Government

I start my Government class in a couple of weeks. In order to get a jump on things I've started reading the first chapter and I'm assigning myself the task of getting up to speed on current events. I went on the Supreme Court website and printed out a list of the current justices (can you name them all?) to study. I'm familiar with the names but it would take me a while to come up with all of them off the top of my head. I don't know too much about them except for the more recent appointees- Thomas, Roberts, Sotomayor. I didn't even know there WAS a supreme court website but yep, there certainly is.

They have their cases on there, too. I found one listed that I heard about on NPR the other day about carp and water and the Great Lakes. It seems the system of locks that provide shipping industries with access to Chicago could also allow access to the Great Lakes for an invasive species of fish, the Asian Carp. Concerns are that the fish could wipe out native species and take the industries that rely on those fish with them. There are competing business interests, however, that want to keep the locks open. Chicago kind of needs the goods that the ships bring in so that's a big factor.

In the mean time, what to do? Eat carp, of course. There's a chef in Louisiana that was asked to come up with recipes for the fish and he's done it. He claims they are quite tasty. The hope is that if there is a demand for them as a food source then they will get fished out of the water. Sounds like a yummy solution to me!

No comments: