Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Krav Maga

I put The Eldest in a situation yesterday that is causing her a world of hurt today. You didn't know I was an abusive parent, did you? It's for her own good, I promise. What terrible thing did I do, you ask? I signed her up for Krav Maga, the self defense system used by the Israeli army. She took her first hour long class last night and she went for it. There was another girl, about her age, who wimped out halfway through the class but my kid stuck with it; I'm so proud. And she's so sore, poor baby; she couldn't even lift her arms after the class.

The experienced students were tough! (They invited me to stay and watch for the first class.) She was paired up with a young mom (her little boy was hanging out with The Wild Child) who obviously has been doing this a while and was kind enough to take The Eldest under her wing. That woman could pack a punch, let me tell you. I wouldn't want to be the crook that messes with her. The Eldest is far from that kind of power at this point, but if the classes can give her that, she's going.

I was anxious to get The Eldest in some sort of self defense class. I worry about her; she's going off to college next year and I won't be able to be with her and watch over her any more. I am haunted by Natalee Holloway, Jaycee Dugard, and other young women who have been kidnapped and killed, or kidnapped and abused for years. I want my children to have the skills to fight back if someone tries to do the same to one of them. I made sure they could all swim to protect them from drowning. I make them wear helmets when they ride their bikes and seat belts when they are in the car. Human predators are another hazard I need to make sure they are protected from. I know it's not foolproof. Just like good swimmers can still drown and a seat belt doesn't always mean you'll walk away from a car accident, this is not a 100% guarantee that no one will ever hurt them, but it's the best I can do.

1 comment:

Krav Maga Melbourne said...

It is what all good parents should do, sign their kids up for Krav Maga.. It's a scary world out there!