Friday, June 19, 2009

Food Memories

I was talking to The Niece earlier tonight and telling her what her dad and I used to eat when we were kids. Some of our regularly occurring meals included grilled cheese sandwiches, made with a thick slice of tomato, and tomato soup, TV dinners when my parents went out, dried out chicken and yellow rice casseroles, and dried out roasts with no seasoning (I know there wasn't seasoning because it was my job to throw it in the oven) and a side of canned peas. Because my mom worked as a nurse I was responsible for cooking dinner as a teen but I didn't know what I was doing. My mom would call and give me directions over the phone, but not being a verbal learner that wasn't the best approach to teaching me to cook. ;) I did have one good meal, though; I made a decent meatloaf with Kraft Mac & Cheese for the side dish. My worst meal was probably that roast; shudder.

The Niece asked me what my favorite meal used to be- that's easy, anything my grandmother cooked. ;)

What do you remember eating as a kid? What were your first cooking experiences? What was your favorite thing to eat? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

No comments: