Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dancing!

I just got back from the opening for a new dance studio in the area with The Niece and The Eldest. It was fun! They mainly teach Latin dances but there are a few other things thrown in the mix like belly dancing and hip hop. There were performances by the instructors and students and then they opened it up for everyone to dance. It was fun watching, and oh, the memories! I dated a Cuban boy in high school for a year and he took me to a few of his family's parties, with the food and the music and the dancing! I didn't like the boy so much (he was kind of a jerk) but I loved his family and enjoyed learning about another culture. His grandmother's croquettes! Yum! Anyway, the night was a lot of fun, and the Zumba demo was something else. The teacher was ready-to-pop pregnant, but she was out there 90 to nothing leading that demo class. I had no idea Zumba was so FAST; I've never seen people move as fast as they did. Whew- I was burning calories just watching. The Eldest got up there and gave it a try and did a pretty passable job keeping up, actually! A good friend of mine was there with her daughters and that was a lot of fun, too. She is one of those people who can make anything fun so it turned out to be a great evening out. :)

2 comments:

Mindy said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I've been thinking about taking a bellydancing class since I've heard it is great exercise for pregnancy and childbirth.

Kim said...

I took a bellydancing class once at the local community center and it was so much fun! Go for it! :)