Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service

Our new President (as of tomorrow) has called for today, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, to be a National Day of Service. As an active Girl Scout Leader and service unit volunteer, service to others is something I believe in every day. Here's what I've written to two of the Girl Scout lists I belong to:

Hi All:
Our President (as of tomorrow) has put out a call to make Martin Luther King, Jr. Day a Day of Service. We can be proud of ourselves that as Girl Scout Leaders and volunteers we not only serve but we teach our girls to serve as well, instilling the value of helping others and making the world a better place into another generation. I'm always looking for ways to make the holidays meaningful for my family, but I've never paid particular attention to how I can honor Martin Luther King, Jr. day beyond telling my children about him. Now Barack Obama has provided the direction for this day and given me a meaningful point of focus- Martin Luther King, Jr. was a great man who helped others, so to honor that memory I will talk to my children and my Girl Scout troops about what they can do to help others not just on this day but every day, and find a special community service project we can all participate in above and beyond what we would do regularly.

Have an Honored Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Kim


What will you do to make today a special day? (If I knew how to get those memes going, what better meme than "how I helped others today"!)

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Kim, I think it's so neat that your daughter loves to write. I've been writing since I was 10 and it's been a wonderful blessing in so many ways. As for our day of service, we took a carload of donations to Goodwill today. I'm not sure if that's in line with what Mr. Obama meant, but since they've been sitting around forever, we decided that would be how we would honor Dr. King and our new President today.

Kim said...

I think donating food is a lovely way to honor and celebrate the day! I wound up taking The Niece and The Eldest out to a non-profit ranch that helps terminally ill horses but no one was there today. We were able to call and line up times when they can go back and help, so while we didn't directly do anything today we made arrangements to do so at a later date. :) Plus I'll be working with one of my Girl Scout troops tomorrow, and when the girls sell cookies later this month we'll be collecting donations for the "Cookies for the Troops" program, where we send boxes of cookies to our military personnel. We've held food drives in the past, too, so I think that's a WONDERFUL way to help others!!