Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Some Days Are Like That...

Even in Australia...

Quick, name that book! (I'm quoting a children's favorite.)

So today wasn't the best of days. I've over done things recently and the fibromyalgia is flaring up, to the point that I was shaky earlier in the day. It was hard to get things done and I had a Brownie meeting and soccer practice to deal with. That doesn't sound so bad on the surface, but there's all the cleaning up and preparation for the Brownie meeting (I rarely have time to prep ahead so I'm scrambling on the day of) then the hassle of getting The Youngest dressed and out the door for practice, and if you have a kid in any kind of activity that requires special gear you know what I mean! Theoretically he's supposed to put his soccer shoes, shin guards, and ball in his soccer bag as soon as he gets home from a game or practice. In reality? Doesn't happen. Shoes and shin guards were buried in the pit that is his room and he wasn't so interested in finding them. The consequence was he either found them and could go to practice, or he had to spend the time all the way up until practice was over cleaning his room. This is a child who needs constant supervision and micro-management in order to get him to do ANYTHING, and I'm already running on E, but micro-manage I did. I sat on a little chair in the doorway and pointed to dirty clothes on the floor, a huge component of the mess, that he had to pick up and put in the hamper. As expected, he finally cleaned up enough that the floor was peeking through in spots, and the shoes and shin guards were found. I keep his socks in MY sock drawer so I knew where those were, and he was already wearing shorts and a T-shirt, so we were finally, 20 minutes late, out the door. Blech.

I usually try to take my daily walk while The Youngest practices; I thought it would be best to skip it today! I sat and worked on a menu plan and grocery list for the rest of the week instead, which I won't post this week. (It's all a bunch of repeat stuff anyway, and nothing exciting.) After stopping by the grocery store, we headed home where there is a visiting puppy. The Niece and the friend she drove down with (they arrived this morning) found an abandoned puppy at a rest stop on the way down. She's cute as a button and looks kind of like a lab to me. The Niece says she thinks the puppy is around 2 months old; looks about right, I suppose. The kids are all, of course, head over heels in love with the dog. NO, we can NOT have a dog! I can barely keep up with cleaning up after the lot of them as it is! Plus there's the sleep thing. I have sleep issues with the fibromyalgia; I have a lot of problems when my sleep is interrupted, and a dog will bark and need to go out, among other things, which all has the potential to disrupt sleep. I just can't do it! She's so darn cute, though. Those big puppy eyes, and that lumbering puppy gait...she was chasing things in the back yard today and it was melt your heart adorable. Sigh.

Anyway, this one is going home with The Niece's friend at the end of the week, so it's a moot point! (Whew.) ;)

PS: The quoted children's book is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Days like that are what makes motherhood tough. My worst days at jobs were never as taxing as days like that at home.

Kim said...

Yep; all the little things pile up and just wear on you. Then there are the rewards that pile up, too- we all took a bike ride at sunset today and it was lovely. I wouldn't trade it for anything! :)

Abi said...

The book is obviously Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. XD

Of course I'm semi-cheating since we use that phrase a lot here. :p