Monday, April 27, 2009

Will We Be Able To Go???

Or will Swine Flu cancel the vacation I've dreamed of my entire life? Or will we get over there and not be able to do anything because all of the museums, theaters, etc. are shut down? Or will we get over there and have to come back if someone in our family catches it? Or will we get over there and have trouble getting home because of flight cancellations? Or will WE catch it? I'm on tenterhooks (I had to google that phrase) waiting to find out what's going to happen with all of this.

I'm also kicking myself mentally for not scheduling us to leave TODAY, which is one of the dates I looked at. Why? Why did I delay? We'd be on our way already and possibly get this in under the wire of whatever is going to happen with this flu. Who would have thought this would be an issue, anyway? It's April- flu season is supposed to be over already. :(

OK, OK, enough with the whining. I feel terrible for the people who have caught this already, especially for those who have died and their loved ones. I'm also worried for the people who are going to catch it in the future, and for the steps that may have to be taken to control it. We went out to eat yesterday at Sweet Tomatoes and I was looking around wondering how a pandemic would affect restaurants, and then how it would affect our already reeling economy as a whole. Our vacation doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world, (plus I bought trip insurance) but if everyone else is canceling vacations too, that's going to have a huge economic impact. Even things like the local P.E. program for homeschoolers my kids go to- that's dependent on the parks being open and people being able to gather, and if that's taken away that's another business that will fail and people on the payroll who will lose their jobs. The implications of this are really scary.

I'm saying my prayers for sure!

3 comments:

Brian Richmond said...

Relax~ I'm sure you'll be just fine.

..Hmm, swine flu = l'malaide du jambon?

Sickness of the Pork Meat? :P

Laika said...

Don't worry, you'll get there! If you had left today, you would've missed DH's birthday :-)

Kim said...

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the encouragement! Mark- you're right, can't miss his B-day, so this week was definitely out of the question.

We're glued to CNN watching all the latest developments, and unless we hear otherwise we're still planning to go. Keep your fingers crossed for us!! :)