Thursday, October 1, 2009

What I'm Reading: You on a Diet

I'm smack dab in the middle of the book You on a Diet by Drs. Roizen and Oz. I've been having trouble getting off the 9 pounds I gained in Europe and felt I needed a recharge so I took You on our trip to NC. (We drove; there was lots of time to read.) It's been languishing in my "to read" pile for months now; DH gave me both You on a Diet and You, Staying Young (by the same authors) for Christmas last year. I have to say I am impressed with the topics covered in this book. The docs are going over the physiology of eating, why some people gain weight while others don't when they eat the same things, viral and hormonal causes of weight gain, how we digest our food, what makes us get hungry in the first place, and so much more. It is fascinating; I would enjoy it even if I didn't need to lose an ounce.

One particular fact stood out for me in the very beginning of the book. 95% of dieters who have lost 50 pounds or more are unable to maintain the loss after two years. I lost close to 50 pounds (I didn't weigh myself when I started out; didn't own a scale at that point but I know I was around 180) and it's been two years; yipes! I'm reading this book just in time, and I'm hereby recommitting to losing the rest of the 9 pounds from Europe (I've already lost 6) and keeping myself in that 5% of dieters who are successful at maintaining. It is a daily fight; if I let up at all I gain weight so easily. This book is a good recharge, though; there is so much vital information that will help me continue to be successful. I recommend it highly for anyone who is struggling with weight issues as well as for anyone who wants to be healthy for life.

No comments: